Good Morning and as promised I have another card for you featuring the Country Lane Photopolymer Stamp set….if you missed my other post with this, please click here for that inspiration. Today I have for you an example of just how adding layers of textures to make a fun, simple and classic card…. is easy to do with little effort!
I think when we go to our work space areas to create we get in the habit of using the same tools over and over and please do not get me wrong…that is truly OK and I am SOOOOOOO guilty of that but there are also many other tools that we have that can be used with our “old faithfuls” to make elements of our design….just that extra special something that will take your project up a level!
The textures that I am talking about are Embossing Folders!
My Embossing Folders are all snug in a container one a shelf in my work area. Because they are up on a shelf, I honestly just forget about them…therefore, they get skipped over many times. Embossing Folders (page 222 – 223) in the Annual Catalog and also several new offerings in the Holiday Catalog are the yummy Buttercream Icing on the cake!
WHY? – EASY…..with a simple pass through the Big Shot and just a piece of paper….out will come an amazing texture of goodness that will make a project go UP a notch instantly! For todays card, I am actually showing you (2) different embossing folders. The Simple Stripes and the Tin Tiled Textured Embossing Folder (this is a newbie in the Holiday Catalog). I know that many times we just use one Embossing Folder…but I ask you, have you ever tried 2 on a project?
I have some quick tips and tricks for you when using Embossing Folders and then I promise, we will get more into the card! You all know that it is always my goal to be able to share tips that I have found useful as heck – we are all in this crafting thing together and with that said – I say…HECK YES….the more tips always helps!
- When you use embossing folders…remember there are 2 sides (just like in life…there are 2 sides to every story) and sometimes you might like one better than the other……just like I did today…on the blueberry stripe one….I flipped over so the embossing strips are facing downwards.
- When you use a 3D Dynamic Embossing Folder like I used today for the Tin Textured (in white and daffodil delight)…you only need to use 1 plate in your “sandwich configuration” when you pass it through the embossing folder.
- I like to “mist the paper” with water when using many of the embossing folders….I suggest that you just have a mister bottle handy in your work area and play around with it. I always say that you need to play with products to get to know how they will work for you before you dive into a project….this way – you will always know the results before you get frustrated!!!
- Here is a tip and one that I know take time but trust me…it is well worth the effort. I would take cardstock (perhaps a color that you do not use a bunch) and make a sample of all of your embossing folders…hole punch it, label them and put it on a ring. I have done that and it is a great visual of what the folder will actually look like. To me, it is the same as I feel about seeing the Cardstock Swatches that I make…to have them in your hand is sooooo different than seeing pictures of what the embossing folders look like in the catalog!
- Stampin’ Up! has started to put lines on the bottom of some of the folders to give you a visual line to make sure that your paper is straight….this is a huge help for the images that if they come out crooked….YIKES.…we get grumpy!!!
- Run your embossing folders through the Big Shot with the crease of the folder in……not the open end….and lastly, the Stampin’ Up! logo should be facing up as it goes through the Big Shot.
Whew….thanks for hanging in there but I do hope that you found these tips helpful and if you have more tips and tricks that you have found to be helpful….please share in the comments as this IS HOW WE LEARN! I am a HUGE believer of sharing tips to make a process easier and I feel so blessed to have such an amazing community of Blog readers that always graciously share their tips and tricks!
I just think that there is something super fun about this stamp set. I adore the fact that it is a Photopolymer Stamp as I find it so easy to look through….line up and stamp away! I did use the Stamparatus for this as I stamped many images at one time….I like a stamp positioner for doing this but I also like the fact that I can stamp it several times to get a good, deep and rich black image!
You will see that I cut it out…and I know…I know….it is a BUMMER that Stampin’ Up! did not make matching framelits for this keeper of a stamp set. You can easily fussy cut it out but I used my Scan -n – Cut to do the job for me today! Here is a tip when you fussy cut….thrown perfection OUT THE DOOR and just do it – trust me….no one will ever look at it and say – that is a terrible job!
I used the Blends to color the image in and trust me again, they are the easiest and fastest way to color an image in. Being that they are alcohol markers…there are NO STREAKS in the end result! Please do NOT let the word BLEND get you flustered…they truly are the best. I also like to use the regular weight of Whisper White Card Stock when I use the blends….I just think that they absorb in the paper perfectly!
Today I tried something different and it worked PERFECTLY!!! Jeanie has always told me how much she loves and enjoys water-coloring on the Shimmery White Cardstock so today I thought I would give it a try and…..IT WORKS PERFECTLY! Always remember that you need to be sure that you that you use an ink that works with Alcohol Markers….the Memento does!
The Blends just glided on…just as it does what I used the regular weight Whisper White Cardstock….this is another product that you should have a pack of in your stash….it is a very subtle shimmer!!!
Below you can see that I commented in the picture that I used the Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets to layer the Striped piece down. YEP, I did as it lays perfectly flat leaving a very solid and professional feel to the card. Again, little tips for you! I adore this adhesive and a pack goes a LONG WAY…..to me, it is like that “little black dress” – you need to have a pack of this adhesive on your stash!
Below you will see the image of another tip….it truly is funny how the end result looks so different on different cardstocks! I know that I will easily use these for another project in the future….just wanted to share with you how I roll when I design!
A close up and sorry, not the best quality of a photo below but I think you get the message. Just look at this love!!! Envelope love is the best way to end a project that you made with your own hands!!! Once you start doing your envelopes…..you will never send a card out with some sort of envelope love! It is also a great way to use up scraps!
Well….there you go…..another bit of inspiration from me! I hope that you enjoy the remainder of the weekend and I hope that you can turn the football games on today and craft away! That is what I am planning to do…..I am trying to get a JUMP START on Halloween Treats that I love to send to family and friends!
I will be traveling a bunch over the next month so I am trying to get my DUCKS IN A ROW (as the saying goes) and I will be sure to share with you some fun and easy ideas of what I will be making…..I am not a huge Halloween person but I sure do love to send fun, festive, and yummy treats of love made with my hands!
I sure do love this fun things that we do…..handmade love is just the BEST!